Sunday, September 14, 2008

Training in Canada




While visiting Canada for 10 days I wanted to keep up my training regimen for my competition in late September. I was fortunate enough to have trained with Omar Salvosa at Salvosa BJJ Ascension Academy of Mixed Martial Arts in Scarborough, Ontario. It was an interesting experience to train at another school. ( I will talk more about the experience in another entry). Salvosa is a Black Belt under Master Marcus Soares, 7th Degree Black Belt of the Carlson Gracie Team, and he was one of the coolest people I have met. He had passion for the art and his students. I admired his style for as you can see he is shorter and light, so he is very fast and agile which has probably helped him beat many larger opponents in his BJJ career. I had the opportunity to grapple with him on a couple of occasions, and I made the mistake of blinking while we grappled. I blinked and when I opened my eyes I was armbared. He was quick and alway 3-4 moves ahead of me. It was a great experience.

1 comment:

Larissa said...

Well, if someone his size can submit you, maybe I can??? (o;