Monday, January 26, 2009

Eric and Alberto get their first strip




Here is a picture (form left to right) Eric, Myself, my instructor Kevin, and Alberto. These are kids I mentor for an Albuquerque Ministry called Juntos ("together"). It is a Christian based program that reaches out to the La Mesa, Trumbull area or what many Albuquerquens refer to as the "War Zone". I have been doing this ministry for over a year and a half. These kids we reach out to are considered at risk kids, for the area which they live in leads Albuquerque in the percentage of violent crimes, domestic violence, prostitution, and poverty levels. Aside from the once a week gatherings we have with the kids in which we have singing, a bible lesson and activities, the volunteers are encouraged to be active in relationships with the kids outside of the program, to foster a mentor type relationships with them. What better avenue can you have to teach kids discipline, respect, confidence and self-assurance than BJJ? My instructor has been so generous in offering free lessons to these kids as long as they show commitment, stay away from drugs, violence, and do good in school. I pick them up every Saturday before I go to class, and together we learn the art that I have grown to love, and I hope they will grow to love it as well, for I believe it would only have a positive effect on their lives. I am very impressed on how well they have been progressing, and the hard work and commitment they have shown thus far. This is a picture of all of us the day the both of them got their first stripe.

1 comment:

Larissa said...

This is such a cool ministry you're involved in. You will etch an eternal tattoo on these impressionable, young hearts and you shall surely have your reward in heaven. I'm proud of you, brother!!!